Purpose

St. Columban's, the Mother Parish of Roman Catholics in Cornwall,
was established in 1829.
The first parish for French speaking Catholics was La Nativite, established in 1887.
The present church building of St. Columban's is the third, built in 1896.
As any old historic building, the Church has been involved in an earthquake, and 2 fires, and has sustained damage over it's long history.  In addition to these catastrophes, the building is in constant need of repairs and upgrades, to conform to fire codes, etc.
As in the case of many centre city churches, the parish finds itself with a aging population and fewer professional members who tend to gravitate to the suburbs.